Go South to the Road – Local
The idea “Go South to the Road” comes from the passage Acts 8:26-40. “Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, ‘Go south to the road-the desert road-that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” Philip was compelled to go south to the road and there he met an Ethiopian Eunuch reading from the book of Isaiah. Philip was able to explain to the man what the Scripture meant as well as about the good news about Jesus. Later that day Philip baptized him. God has also called us to go south… and listen to the Spirit’s call and direction. He leads us to different places, people, neighborhoods, homes, and settings to share Christ. At First Woodway, we are ready to go wherever God sends us. Whether it be all of the sudden or a well planned effort, we will join together to Go South to the Road.
Open to God, open to people, open to the world.
1. Open to God – we are open to be led by His Spirit.
- Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me. 2 Corinthians 2:12
- But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
2. Open to people – we are open and want to be extended and ready to speak life into individuals.
- We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians, and opened wide our hearts to you. 2 Corinthians 6:11
- Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:13
3. Open to the world – we are open and available to go and share the gospel in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth.
- On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles. Acts 14:27
- Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20
What’s Happening Now
Box Fan Drive
Through the month of June, we are collecting 100 box fans for Caritas. Please drop off at the church office (M-F) or at a Welcome Center.
Go South: Mission Waco Celebrate Health, Jubilee Market | Sat, June 22 at 10:00 am
We will have a booth and will pass out water, snacks, and small gifts. To serve, contact René for more details at email@example.com. Click here to serve.
Go South: Hewitt Library Hero Day | Wed, June 26 from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Come join us at Hewitt Park for Hewitt Library’s Hero Day as we pass out water and snacks to our community.
Neighboring Lights is a simple way for you and your family to live intentionally in your neighborhood. Over the weekend of June 28 – 30, we are encouraging our church family to connect and care for your neighbors. Here are just a few ideas to help you start conversations and build relationships with your neighbors. Pray that God would open doors for you to share His Light.
- Join with another church family and host a neighborhood cookout
- Pass out ice cream or popsicles
- Deliver flowers or vegetables from your garden
- Provide a free car wash
- Mow or clean up around their yard
- Give out a summer survival kit (with sunblock, hand-held misting fan, water bottles, snacks and Scripture verses)
- Deliver donuts on a Saturday morning
- Invite another family to join you at a local park or playground
- Enjoy a game of neighborhood kickball
- Have a watermelon party
- Deliver Bush’s tea and a box of chicken tenders or a meal on a hot afternoon
- Offer to clean someone’s windows
Caritas of Waco | Every 2nd and 4th Thursday | 9:00 – 11:00 am
We minister in the welcome areas at Caritas every 2nd and 4th Thursday from 9:00-11:00 am. We are needing volunteers from First Woodway to help us. We will engage in conversations and pray with those who come to Caritas seeking help. We hope that these conversations and opportunities to pray with others will lead to sharing the gospel with many. The harvest is ripe to feed and share the gospel. Contact René for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect with us on Facebook