Go South to the Road – Local
The idea “Go South to the Road” comes from the passage Acts 8:26-40. “Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, ‘Go south to the road-the desert road-that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” Philip was compelled to go south to the road and there he met an Ethiopian Eunuch reading from the book of Isaiah. Philip was able to explain to the man what the Scripture meant as well as about the good news about Jesus. Later that day Philip baptized him. God has also called us to go south… and listen to the Spirit’s call and direction. He leads us to different places, people, neighborhoods, homes, and settings to share Christ. At First Woodway, we are ready to go wherever God sends us. Whether it be all of the sudden or a well planned effort, we will join together to Go South to the Road.
Open to God, open to people, open to the world.
1. Open to God – we are open to be led by His Spirit.
- Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me. 2 Corinthians 2:12
- But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
2. Open to people – we are open and want to be extended and ready to speak life into individuals.
- We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians, and opened wide our hearts to you. 2 Corinthians 6:11
- Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:13
3. Open to the world – we are open and available to go and share the gospel in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth.
- On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles. Acts 14:27
- Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20
What’s Happening Now
Go South to the Road – Meyer Center | Friday, August 17 | 6:00 – 7:30 am
The Missions Ministry will be cooking breakfast for the homeless. If you would like to volunteer to help please sign up here. [Contact: René Maciel]
Go South to the Road – Reading Mentors for WISD
This year churches are partnering together to recruit hundreds of new Reading Mentors for WISD Elementary Schools. What an incredible opportunity to positively and spiritually impact children in WISD. There are three training dates and you will be required to attend at least one of them. If you feel led to be a mentor, please click here to sign up.
September 9: Training at Antioch Community Church [505 N 20th St, Waco] 2:00-3:30 pm
September 11: Training at Carver Park Baptist [1020 Herring Ave, Waco] 7:00-8:30 pm
September 13: Training at First United Methodist Waco [4901 Cobbs Dr., Waco] 7:00-8:30 pm
Go South to the Road – Celebrate Health Day at Jubilee Food Market
Saturday, September 8
Join us at Celebrate Health Day on September 8 from 10:00 am-2:00 pm. Some of our very own doctors (from our church family) will be joining us at this event as we serve the community. At our booth, we will distribute water and fruit and pray with people in need. Sign up here.
Go South to the Road – Madeira Apartments | Sunday, September 9
Go South to the Road at a cookout for our neighbors at the Madeira Apartments on September 9 at 6:00 pm! There will be food, games and opportunities to serve. We need volunteers to join us for a Summer Cookout and Splash Party. Please click here to sign up.
Go South to the Road – Neighboring Lights | All Summer
Neighboring Lights is a wonderful way to connect and minister to your neighbors. It is doesn’t have to be a big effort, just a connection. I hope you will consider how God may want to use you to go…go across the street or next door to be the church, to be a light. Take a look at the ways you can live intentionally in your neighborhood by clicking here.
Go South to the Road – Refugee Ministry: Hygiene Kits To The Border
First Woodway is being called into action by the Texas Baptist River Ministry. We will be collecting these hygiene kits and taking a team down to the border to help with the refugee families in early August. We will set this date soon. Sign up here to deliver kits. You can also give a monetary gift toward these needs.
Collection Dates For Kits: Now through early August
Collection Place/Drop Off Location: First Woodway Offices – Ashley Giles
Please bring either completed kits (in a clear zip lock bag so contents are clearly seen) or individual items.
Children’s Kits – crayon box, comb, bar of soap, toothbrush, 4 lollipops, coloring book, 2 laffy taffy, 2.75oz toothpaste, 1.5 oz roll on antiperspirant deodorant, 4 oz. shampoo/conditioner bottle, 2 oz. body lotion bottle, card from your group
Adult Kits – 2 pads (women only), Brush (F) / Comb (M), bar of soap, toothbrush, 2 tampons (women only), 2 oz. body lotion bottle, 1.5 oz. roll on deodorant, 2.75 oz. toothpaste, disposable razor (men only), 2 hand sanitizing wipes, 4 oz. shampoo/conditioner bottle, card of encouragement
Go South to the Road – Caritas of Waco | Every 2nd and 4th Thursday | 9:00 – 11:00 am
We minister in the welcome areas at Caritas every 2nd and 4th Thursday from 9:00-11:00 am. We are needing volunteers from First Woodway to help us. We will engage in conversations and pray with those who come to Caritas seeking help. We hope that these conversations and opportunities to pray with others will lead to sharing the gospel with many. The harvest is ripe to feed and share the gospel. Contact René for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect with us on Facebook