Go South to the Road – Local
The idea “Go South to the Road” comes from the passage Acts 8:26-40. “Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, ‘Go south to the road-the desert road-that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” Philip was compelled to go south to the road and there he met an Ethiopian Eunuch reading from the book of Isaiah. Philip was able to explain to the man what the Scripture meant as well as about the good news about Jesus. Later that day Philip baptized him. God has also called us to go south… and listen to the Spirit’s call and direction. He leads us to different places, people, neighborhoods, homes, and settings to share Christ. At First Woodway, we are ready to go wherever God sends us. Whether it be all of the sudden or a well planned effort, we will join together to Go South to the Road.
Open to God, open to people, open to the world.
1. Open to God – we are open to be led by His Spirit.
- Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me. 2 Corinthians 2:12
- But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
2. Open to people – we are open and want to be extended and ready to speak life into individuals.
- We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians, and opened wide our hearts to you. 2 Corinthians 6:11
- Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:13
3. Open to the world – we are open and available to go and share the gospel in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth.
- On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles. Acts 14:27
- Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20
What’s Happening Now
Go South: Nacho Daddy Car Show | Warren Park (Hewitt) | Friday, April 27 at 6:00 pm
Join us in serving at this special event benefiting Hunger Free Midway ISD. Sign up here to serve.
Go South: First Responder Thank You Breakfast | The Venue | Thursday, May 2 from 7:30 – 9:30 am
Join us in honoring and serving all our local First Responders with a come and go breakfast on Thursday, May 2 from 7:30 am – 9:00 am in The Venue. This will be a casual time of breakfast and prayer. We want to let those who serve our community know how thankful we are for them. Sign up here to serve.
Texas Baptist Men (TBM) Disaster Relief Training – Georgetown | Friday, May 3 from 6:00 – 9:00 pm
Volunteers interested in Texas Baptist Men (TBM) Disaster Relief ministries are invited to this training at Crestview Baptist Church in Georgetown, Texas. There will be an introduction and overview of the Texas Baptist Men Disaster Relief Ministries including the mission statement, history and brief overview of additional ministry opportunities within TBM. This is a required orientation for all new Disaster Relief Volunteers, and current volunteers who’s credentials have expired. This course is a pre-requisite for all other specialty training. For more details, please click here: https://tbmtx.org/events. To register for this event, please click here. For more information, please contact Charles Baker at 512-508-0793 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go South: Fiesta Familiar – Celebrating Cinco de Mayo | Saturday, May 4 at 6:00-8:30 pm, Hewitt Park
First Woodway along with Viento Fuerte are hosting a community wide event celebrating Cinco de Mayo at Hewitt Park, Saturday, May 4 from 6:00 – 8:30 pm. There will be fun activities for the entire family including – pony rides, inflatables, live music, games, face painting, paletas and a hamburger/hotdog cookout.
Our First Woodway family is invited to come fellowship at this event and meet others in the community. We also need volunteers to greet those attending, serve food, help with games and face painting. Click here to sign up to serve.
E2S-Equipped to Serve | Wednesday evenings at 6:00 pm, Room 315
Equipped to Serve is starting up this coming Wednesday evening from 6:00 – 7:00 pm. Church members who are planning on going on a mission trip or wanting to be involved in local missions are encouraged to attend this training led by Terry and Vicki Lassiter, former IMB missionaries. There will be eight one-hour sessions (March 20 through May 8) that will prepare you for an international trip or how to relate and share the gospel with your neighbor. Come be a part of this strategic training. Contact René Maciel at email@example.com for more information. Click here to sign up.
Caritas of Waco | Every 2nd and 4th Thursday | 9:00 – 11:00 am
We minister in the welcome areas at Caritas every 2nd and 4th Thursday from 9:00-11:00 am. We are needing volunteers from First Woodway to help us. We will engage in conversations and pray with those who come to Caritas seeking help. We hope that these conversations and opportunities to pray with others will lead to sharing the gospel with many. The harvest is ripe to feed and share the gospel. Contact René for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Neighboring Lights is a wonderful way to connect and minister to your neighbors. It is doesn’t have to be a big effort, just a connection. I hope you will consider how God may want to use you to go…go across the street or next door to be the church, to be a light. Take a look at the ways you can live intentionally in your neighborhood by clicking here.
Connect with us on Facebook