Go South to the Road – Local
The idea “Go South to the Road” comes from the passage Acts 8:26-40. “Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, ‘Go south to the road-the desert road-that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” Philip was compelled to go south to the road and there he met an Ethiopian Eunuch reading from the book of Isaiah. Philip was able to explain to the man what the Scripture meant as well as about the good news about Jesus. Later that day Philip baptized him. God has also called us to go south… and listen to the Spirit’s call and direction. He leads us to different places, people, neighborhoods, homes, and settings to share Christ. At First Woodway, we are ready to go wherever God sends us. Whether it be all of the sudden or a well planned effort, we will join together to Go South to the Road.
Open to God, open to people, open to the world.
1. Open to God – we are open to be led by His Spirit.
- Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me. 2 Corinthians 2:12
- But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
2. Open to people – we are open and want to be extended and ready to speak life into individuals.
- We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians, and opened wide our hearts to you. 2 Corinthians 6:11
- Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:13
3. Open to the world – we are open and available to go and share the gospel in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth.
- On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles. Acts 14:27
- Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20
What’s Happening Now
Operation Christmas Child Boxes – Collection Going on Now!
First Woodway is collecting Operation Christmas Child boxes now through November 24. Please drop off all completed shoe boxes in Room 118 (Bride’s Room). For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go South to the Jubilee Food Market | Thursday, November 21 | 4:15 – 6:00 pm, Jubilee Food Market
We are looking for 30 volunteers to assist with games and activities going on for the 3-year celebration of this wonderful food market. Come help us bless Mission Waco in this special event on November 21 from 4:15 to 6:00 pm! Sign up on the church app.
Go South: Neighbor Care-oling | Wednesday, December 11 | 5:30 pm, Commons
Come share the hope and joy of Christ with our neighbors and those in our community through caroling to them this Christmas season. We will sing a few songs, pray with them, and then give them a Christmas basket. We will meet in the commons/kitchen area at 5:30 pm for a pizza dinner and a time of prayer. We will leave at 6:15 pm. If you know of a friend or neighbor who is not part of a church, and would enjoy carols and a gift, then please share his/her name with René at email@example.com.
A Christmas Coffee House: Peace on Earth
During the month of December, First Woodway Missions will be offering A Christmas Coffee House: Peace on Earth. This cozy little coffee house will be a local outreach event and will open Monday – Thursday from 6:30 – 10:30 am starting December 2 – December 19 in The Venue foyer. Peace on Earth will be a warm gathering place for the community and our church family to enjoy coffee, hot chocolate, tea, and breakfast items. It will be free of charge; however, donations to missions will be accepted. This quiet location will be the perfect spot to meet friends, pray with someone, take a break from the holiday chaos, and connect with those within our church family and those looking for a church home. We will have volunteers staffing this event Monday-Thursday, starting December 2-5, 9-12, 16-19.
Caritas of Waco | Every 2nd and 4th Thursday | 9:00 – 11:00 am
We minister in the welcome areas at Caritas every 2nd and 4th Thursday from 9:00-11:00 am. We are needing volunteers from First Woodway to help us. We will engage in conversations and pray with those who come to Caritas seeking help. We hope that these conversations and opportunities to pray with others will lead to sharing the gospel with many. The harvest is ripe to feed and share the gospel. Contact René for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect with us on Facebook