Go South to the Road – Local
The idea “Go South to the Road” comes from the passage Acts 8:26-40. “Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, ‘Go south to the road-the desert road-that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” Philip was compelled to go south to the road and there he met an Ethiopian Eunuch reading from the book of Isaiah. Philip was able to explain to the man what the Scripture meant as well as about the good news about Jesus. Later that day Philip baptized him. God has also called us to go south… and listen to the Spirit’s call and direction. He leads us to different places, people, neighborhoods, homes, and settings to share Christ. At First Woodway, we are ready to go wherever God sends us. Whether it be all of the sudden or a well planned effort, we will join together to Go South to the Road.
Open to God, open to people, open to the world.
1. Open to God – we are open to be led by His Spirit.
- Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me. 2 Corinthians 2:12
- But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
2. Open to people – we are open and want to be extended and ready to speak life into individuals.
- We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians, and opened wide our hearts to you. 2 Corinthians 6:11
- Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:13
3. Open to the world – we are open and available to go and share the gospel in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth.
- On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles. Acts 14:27
- Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20
What’s Happening Now
Go South to the Road – Hewitt Library (Hero Day) | Wednesday, June 27 | 10:00 am – 12:00 pm | Hewitt Park
We need volunteers to join us for Hewitt Library’s Hero Day at Hewitt Park. We will have a First Woodway booth set up with water and snacks to distribute. If you are able to help with this, please sign up here.
Go South to the Road – Madeira Apartments | Sunday, July 22 | 6:00 pm | Madeira Apartments
We need volunteers to join us for a Summer Cook-out and Splash Party at Madeira Apartments. Please sign up here.
Mission Waco School Supplies Donations
We will be collecting supplies through Sunday, July 29. Items needed include: new durable backpacks, #2 pencils, new tube socks (youth/adult sizes), pens (blue, black, and red ink), hand sanitizer (small bottles), pocket folders with brackets, highlighters (any color). Drop off supplies in the worship center on the second and third floor lobby. For questions, please contact Ashley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go South to the Road – Caritas of Waco | Every 2nd and 4th Thursday | 9:00 – 11:00 am
We minister in the welcome areas at Caritas every 2nd and 4th Thursday from 9:00-11:00 am. We are needing volunteers from First Woodway to help us. We will engage in conversations and pray with those who come to Caritas seeking help. We hope that these conversations and opportunities to pray with others will lead to sharing the gospel with many. The harvest is ripe to feed and share the gospel. Contact René for more details at email@example.com.