Go South to the Road – Local
The idea “Go South to the Road” comes from the passage Acts 8:26-40. “Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, ‘Go south to the road-the desert road-that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” Philip was compelled to go south to the road and there he met an Ethiopian Eunuch reading from the book of Isaiah. Philip was able to explain to the man what the Scripture meant as well as about the good news about Jesus. Later that day Philip baptized him. God has also called us to go south… and listen to the Spirit’s call and direction. He leads us to different places, people, neighborhoods, homes, and settings to share Christ. At First Woodway, we are ready to go wherever God sends us. Whether it be all of the sudden or a well planned effort, we will join together to Go South to the Road.
Open to God, open to people, open to the world.
1. Open to God – we are open to be led by His Spirit.
- Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me. 2 Corinthians 2:12
- But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
2. Open to people – we are open and want to be extended and ready to speak life into individuals.
- We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians, and opened wide our hearts to you. 2 Corinthians 6:11
- Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:13
3. Open to the world – we are open and available to go and share the gospel in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth.
- On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles. Acts 14:27
- Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20
What’s Happening Now
A Taste of Missions Dinner | Thursday, September 5
We will celebrate missions and all God has done this past year through the people of First Woodway – how you have served, given, and shared the gospel in our community and around the world. Starts at 6:00 pm in the Worship Center.
Our special guest for the night, Dr. Charles Mulli, will share his story of growing up as an orphan on the streets of Kenya to becoming a multi-millionaire, eventually founding an organization that has cared for more than 16,000 Kenyan orphans.
The dinner is free, but tickets will be required. Look for more info to come about this special night!
Back to School Cookout | Sunday, September 15
Join us for a cookout for our neighbors at the Hunnington/Cimmaron Apartments on September 15 at 5:30 pm. We need volunteers to help us cook and serve food.
Evening at the Grove Celebrando La Herencia Hispaña | September 29 | 5:30 pm
We will join with Viento Fuerte at The Grove for a church-wide fiesta celebrating Hispanic Heritage. Come enjoy food, games, music, mariachis, piñatas, and salsa contests. There will even be door prizes!
Caritas of Waco | Every 2nd and 4th Thursday | 9:00 – 11:00 am
We minister in the welcome areas at Caritas every 2nd and 4th Thursday from 9:00-11:00 am. We are needing volunteers from First Woodway to help us. We will engage in conversations and pray with those who come to Caritas seeking help. We hope that these conversations and opportunities to pray with others will lead to sharing the gospel with many. The harvest is ripe to feed and share the gospel. Contact René for more details at email@example.com.
Connect with us on Facebook