For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Prince of Peace.
– Isaiah 9:6 (NIV)
As you memorize the passage, meditate on each word and phrase. Explore the depth of all God wants you to know about himself through the passage. Here are a few thoughts to get you started:
What Makes Jesus a Wonderful Counselor?
- “Wonderful” – literally incomprehensible; His ability to perfectly guide me is beyond what I can comprehend.
- In Jesus is hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Col 2:3)
- He knows me intimitately: every thought, feeling, emotion; He knows my words before I even speak them. (Psalm 139)
- He knows what I’m going through (Hebrews 4:15) and He invites me to bring all my anxiety and struggles to Him. (James 5:7)
- He promises to give me wisdom if I ask Him for it. (James 1:5)
- His love for me is wide and long and high and deep, and He has my best interest at heart. (Ephesians 3:18)
- Through his Word, He shows me the way to follow Him (Psalm 119:105) and He makes my paths straight. (Proverbs 3:6)
- Jesus is our wisdom from God – our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. (I Corinthians 1:30)