Pray for our Missions Efforts, In Our Community + Around the World
Each month, the Prayer Team, working with our Missions pastors, will be publishing a prayer card that will be available in the foyer of the worship center. Please don’t miss out on this wonderful opportunity to mature in your prayer life and intercede for our missionaries in the field.
National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month
Slave labor, child soldiers, and commercial sexual exploitation are just a few forms of modern-day slavery. And the numbers are staggering – nearly 30 million worldwide. Believers across the country are crying out in prayer for the victims struggling to break free and for the ministries working to end the slave trade. You can be part of the solution – will you also pray? For more info, look for the Heart of Texas’ Human Trafficking Coalition page on Facebook, or check out these ministries:
Jesus Said Love
Communities in Schools
Pray for the First Woodway Family
Use these verses this month to lift up our church body and staff. The Lord hears our prayer and will honor our zealousness and obedience to intercede on behalf of others.
Our Church Body
Based on Matthew 22:36-40 and Luke 6:46-49
I pray that we would love You Lord with all of our heart, with all of our soul, with all of our mind, and with all of our strength. Lord, bring us into your perfect submission, and let us eagerly surrender to your providence, grace, and love causing us to become yoked to You in heart, soul, mind, and strength. Thank you, Jesus for all you will do in and through us at First Woodway.
Our Church Staff
Based on John 15:1-1
Oh, Lord, You are the True Vine, and I pray that the staff at First Woodway will abide in You so that they will bear fruit in all they do. Each branch in [staff name] that does not bear fruit, take away. And each branch that does bear fruit, I pray that you will prune. Lord, as the staff abides in You, let their joy be made full.
Our Church Ministries
View the First Woodway Ministry Teams
January Prayer Focus: The Venue
As we begin the New Year, let us take time to thank the Lord for His abundant blessings on and through First Woodway. And through this abundance the Lord has given us, we now have the opportunity to open up His life-giving abundance to our community through the addition of another service.
Ezekiel 47:1-12 expresses this life-giving abundance of the Lord and is a good reminder that God never stops pursuing all people with His all-encompassing love, and we shouldn’t either. The life-giving river in Ezekiel 47 is similar imagery to the rivers in Genesis 2 and in Revelation 22. And so we see three truths in Ezekiel that arise from these life-giving rivers of water that span from Genesis to Revelation. The first is that this abundant, life-giving water flows always and only through Christ. The second is that this abundant, life-giving water deepens producing sanctification in every believer. And the third, this abundant, life-giving water restores the dead to life and all nations and people to God.
Pastor Paul has expressed his desire to do everything we can to reach everyone we can. And now we have this opportunity, and privilege, with The Venue. So let us pray for the Venue in the month of January with the humble expectation that the Lord will provide in mighty ways to bless others through this new service with His abundant, life-giving water!
Harvest Worker Prayer Goals for 2017
This entire year of 2017, we are asking the congregation at First Woodway to pray for more local and international missionaries to be sent out into a ripe field. Below are the goals that we will be praying for throughout the year. Be looking for the new prayer webpage that will have a prayer calendar leading us toward these goals!
Goals for International Missions:
· Short-term missions (up to two weeks) – 100 missionaries
· Mid-term missions (two months to two years) – 6 missionaries
· Long-term (two years and on) – 1 missionary or family
Goal for Local Missions:
· For a person or family to participate in one more local missionary/outreach opportunity than last year.
· There are 3651 IMB missionaries serving around the world.
· There 5684 NAMB (North American Mission Board) missionaries serving in the US.
· It is estimated that there are 51,000 missionaries worldwide.
Harvest Workers Prayer Calendars
We hosted the first Prayer Gathering October 20, 2016. The sanctuary was open all day for focused prayer on the family. Be on the lookout for our next gathering! If you would like to be notified of prayer team opportunities, join our email list.
Pearls of Prayer
What is Prayer?
- Prayer is spiritual communication with God. It is a two-way relationship in which we talk to and listen to our Heavenly Father.
- Prayer is courageously and unreservedly opening your heart, mind, and soul to our Lord and Savior.
- Prayer is a time to give praise and thanksgiving to the God of all creation.
- Prayer is a time for confessing our sins and receiving forgiveness under the law of the Spirit of grace and truth.
- Prayer is a time of intercession as you petition, or plead another’s case to the Lord on behalf of others.
- Prayer is a gift as the Lord has given all of us the opportunity through the Holy Spirit to speak to Him directly.
Praying the Names of God
As you go throughout your day, think upon the names of God. It is easy to forget God’s divine nature and His sovereignty over the big details of the entire world and the small details of our individual lives. When we meditate on the greatness of His name, it allows us to take our focus off of ourselves and earthly enticements, and lifts up our eyes to the One who can secure peace, contentment, purpose, and joy in every part of our day.
Look below at the non-exhaustive list of the names of God. Pick one to meditate on during the week. Ask the Lord to show you the truth behind the name you have chosen.
- Jehovah God – self-complete being; “I AM WHO I AM”. (Exodus 3:13-15)
- Jehovah-M’Kaddesh – the God who sanctifies. (Leviticus 20:7-8)
- Jehovah-jireh – the God who provides. (Genesis 22:9-14)
- Jehovah-shalom – the God of peace. (Judges 6:16-24)
- Jehovah-rophe – Jehovah heals. (Exodus 15:22-26)
- Jehovah-nissi – God our banner. (Exodus 17:8-15)
The Navigators Prayer Calendar
View the monthly prayer calendar, published by The Navigators
“Prayer is the only entryway into genuine self-knowledge. It is also the main way we experience deep change—the reordering of our loves. Prayer is how God gives us so many of the unimaginable things he has for us. Indeed, prayer makes it safe for God to give us many of the things we most desire. It is the way we know God, the way we finally treat God as God. Prayer is simply the key to everything we need to do and be in life. We must learn to pray. We have to.” – Timothy Keller